8.4.12

Chocolate Syrup

Lately I've been intrigued by all of the DIY home goods that I've come across on the world wide web - namely from the One Good Thing By Jillee site.  That gal churns out ideas faster then I can keep up.  But since we stumbled on her homemade chocolate syrup a few months ago we've been hooked.

3/4 Cup Coco
1 1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Water
1 T Vanilla
Pinch of Salt
 Not only does the syrup taste every bit as good as Hershey's or another store brand, but it's cheaper, has no preservatives or hugh fructose whose-a-ma-jobba, BUT it's become a bonding time with the girls.  Since the first batch at the end of February we've always made it together.  It's super easy, so it's a perfect way for them to practice measuring, stirring, and looking for the changes in bubbles between simmer and boil.
Adding the sugar, coco, salt and water to the sauce pan
Giving it a good stir
After all of our ingredients are combined we move to the stove and bring our mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 minute (or the amount of time it takes to sing the ABC's), remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla!  Easy Peasy!  

Now I do like to think that the girls begged me to make more syrup for the last two days because they were super psyched about spending more time with me... but in reality, I'm pretty sure they're in it for the first two cups of chocolate milk that are made with our still warm syrup. 



 I can't blame them. It's delicious!

2 comments: